Well, the Wisconsin State Fair has come and gone just as fast as my last relationship. And I must say, the 2016 State Fair I hardly knew thee.
As someone born and raised in the "Great" city of West Allis, I have grown up almost literally every summer in and at the fair. I have many great memories of going with my mom during the day and splitting a cream puff with her and then washing it down with a delicious 25 cent milk from THE LEGENDARY WI senator Herb Kohl. Full disclosure, milk wasn't actually produced from him, just a sponsorship.
Well anyway, I only went once this year which is a significant decrease from the normal 4 or 5 times I usually go. Not sure if it's because I'm becoming an old man or the fact that I am trying to avoid spending money all together.
Regardless here are a few of my favorites and a few of my dislikes from the Wisconsin State Fair:
What I love:
1) The Bison Burrito - This isn't as cool as getting something edible on a stick, but it's definitely more tasty and worth the money. I get this every single year that I've gone and it's a tradition that I will not stop.
2) Cover Bands - One thing about Milwaukee and it's surrounding neighborhoods, they LOVE their cover bands. Especially bands that cover 80s and 90s music. It seems that every mullet and fanny pack come out to see their favorite cover band hammer out Bon Jovi's Greatest Hits. And I can't seem to get enough of it.
3) Carnies - I really like the midway. Let me rephrase that, I LOVE THE MIDWAY. I love watching people win giant dolls (this year Pokemon were popular again) and also hearing the melodic voices of all the toothless, nicotine addicted carnies yell at me to knock all the milk bottles off the pedestal. I never attempted it, but gives me a sense of nostalgia watching and hearing the unwashed masses try to coerce money from my pocket.
What I hate:
1) They raised the price of the milk - When I was a child you could get a flavored milk (chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, and root beer) for a quarter. That was when Herb Kohl sponsored it, but now it's the Bucks. So not only do I need to pay for their new arena, but I need to pay 50 cents for a small cup of milk. OH THE HUMANITY!!!!
2) The Heat - I get it, summer is the best season of the year, but dang it can be unbearably hot some of those days. The heat doesn't take away the fun from the State Fair, but it does make it have a stronger B.O. aroma.
3) Driving around the fair - If you've ever driven to/from the Fair, you know what a pain in the arse it can be to get around. People drive like morons and don't obey the traffic signs. And if you're walking to the fair, watch out for a Vin Diesel wannabe in their beat up Honda Civic, while they attempt a hairpin turn around 84th Street, completely ignoring the pedestrian right of way.
Well I can keep going for both likes and dislikes but then this becomes one long blog post. Definitely look forward to our State Fair episode while Josh and I go into much more detail about this legendary Wisconsin Event.